CBC News: Canada joins allies in condemning Israeli settlement expansion in the West Bank

Canada and 13 other countries issued a joint statement Wednesday condemning the Israeli security cabinet's approval of 19 new settlements in the occupied West Bank.

“We recall that such unilateral actions, as part of a wider intensification of the settlement policies in the West Bank, not only violate international law but also risk fueling instability,” the joint statement says.

On Sunday, Israel's cabinet announced the approval of 19 more settlements, bringing the number of new settlements over the past few years to 69, according to Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich, who has pushed an expansion agenda in the West Bank.

The approval increases the number of settlements in the West Bank by nearly 50 per cent during the current far-right government’s tenure. In 2022, there were 141 across the West Bank. Now, there are 210, according to Peace Now, an anti-settlement watchdog group.

Settlements are widely considered illegal under international law. Smotrich’s office said the cabinet approval came on Dec. 11 and that the development had been classified until Sunday.

On Monday, Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand condemned the news in a post on X.

“The continued settlement expansion is contrary to international law and puts at risk the 20 Point Peace Plan. Clearly such action undermines the prospects for a two-state solution and the ultimate objective of Israelis and Palestinians living side by side in peace and security,” said Anand.

Click image or link to read the full news story - https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-condemns-israel-settlements-west-bank-9.7027713

Latest posts

OTTAWA — The House of Commons public safety committee has voted unanimously to investigate Canada’s security screening processes, after a Canadian woman was arrested in Belgium for allegedly spying on NATO.

The committee adopted a special, out-of-session motion on Monday to probe the vetting of Biwei “Claire” Zhang by Canadian security officials before the start of an internship last summer at NATO’s central military headquarters in Belgium.

On July 25, Belgian authorities announced they’d arrested a “Canadian national of Chinese origin” on suspicion of spying for a third country while interning at the NATO headquarters. Subsequent reporting identified the suspect as Zhang, a computer science and systems engineering graduate in her early 30s who’d previously held positions at multiple Canadian federal agencies.

Zhang’s security clearance for the overseas NATO internship was approved by the Canadian government after she was vetted by CSIS.

The NDP does not have any seats on the public safety committee, or any House committee, but NDP public safety critic Jenny Kwan said she supported the investigation.

”The government needs to conduct a comprehensive review of how this individual was vetted and cleared for a sensitive NATO posting, including the role played by Global Affairs Canada, CSIS and the RCMP,” said Kwan in an email.

Kwan also it was important to ensure that candidate screening remain “evidence based” and “(does) not become a vehicle for racial or ethnic profiling.”

*Click image or link to read the news story - https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/house-public-safety-committee-special-meeting-accused-nato-spy

Are you ready to take action?

Constituent Resources
Mobile Offices
Contact Jenny

Sign up for updates