Media Release: Statement on the 10th Anniversary of Public Health Emergency Declaration

MP Jenny Kwan Statement on the 10th Anniversary of Public Health Emergency Declaration

On this tragic 10th anniversary of the toxic-drug public-health emergency, it is important to reflect on the profound and ongoing loss felt in communities across British Columbia and Canada. For a decade, families have endured unimaginable grief as loved ones were taken by an increasingly toxic and unpredictable drug supply. These were not just statistics, but people with hopes, histories and futures that mattered deeply.

This crisis has laid bare systemic inequities—poverty, trauma, inadequate housing, racism and stigma—that continue to drive vulnerability and prevent people from accessing the care they need. While harm-reduction measures and treatment services have saved lives, far too many are still being lost to preventable deaths. 

We must confront this emergency with urgency, compassion and evidence-based action. That means expanding access to a safe, regulated supply, strengthening culturally appropriate supports, and ensuring treatment and recovery services are available without barriers. It also requires listening to those with lived and living experience and working in true partnership with Indigenous communities. For the Downtown Eastside, I would also advocate for a new Vancouver Agreement where all three levels of government, health authority and Vancouver Police Department are at the table with community leadership.

Today, we honour those we have lost and stand with all who continue to fight for change. We cannot accept this as the status quo. Just as when a public health emergency was declared in the 1990's related to heroin overdose death leading to government action, we must act urgently.

Latest posts

OTTAWA — The House of Commons public safety committee has voted unanimously to investigate Canada’s security screening processes, after a Canadian woman was arrested in Belgium for allegedly spying on NATO.

The committee adopted a special, out-of-session motion on Monday to probe the vetting of Biwei “Claire” Zhang by Canadian security officials before the start of an internship last summer at NATO’s central military headquarters in Belgium.

On July 25, Belgian authorities announced they’d arrested a “Canadian national of Chinese origin” on suspicion of spying for a third country while interning at the NATO headquarters. Subsequent reporting identified the suspect as Zhang, a computer science and systems engineering graduate in her early 30s who’d previously held positions at multiple Canadian federal agencies.

Zhang’s security clearance for the overseas NATO internship was approved by the Canadian government after she was vetted by CSIS.

The NDP does not have any seats on the public safety committee, or any House committee, but NDP public safety critic Jenny Kwan said she supported the investigation.

”The government needs to conduct a comprehensive review of how this individual was vetted and cleared for a sensitive NATO posting, including the role played by Global Affairs Canada, CSIS and the RCMP,” said Kwan in an email.

Kwan also it was important to ensure that candidate screening remain “evidence based” and “(does) not become a vehicle for racial or ethnic profiling.”

*Click image or link to read the news story - https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/house-public-safety-committee-special-meeting-accused-nato-spy

Are you ready to take action?

Constituent Resources
Mobile Offices
Contact Jenny

Sign up for updates