
OPEN LETTER: Evidence of Trans Mountain Pipeline Expansion Harms to Wild Salmon








*Click [ Read more ] to read Jenny's full speech


MPs speak with reporters on Parliament Hill as they convene for the daily question period in the House of Commons. They face questions about Liberal MP Steven Guilbeault’s resignation from cabinet over the federal government’s new energy pact with Alberta, which lays the groundwork for a new bitumen pipeline to the B.C. coast.
Speaking with reporters are Liberal MPs Peter Fragiskatos, Sean Casey, Charles Sousa, and Anthony Housefather and NDP MPs Jenny Kwan and Gord Johns. (no interpretation)
Click image to watch the CPAC video (Jenny's part is at 06:16) - https://www.cpac.ca/scrums/episode/mps-react-to-steven-guilbeaults-cabinet-resignation--november-28-2025?id=7fd303d7-8fd1-4ddd-a9d9-95feac1f9c71
Marilyn Slett, President of the Coastal First Nations-Great Bear Initiative and elected Chief of the Heiltsuk Nation, reiterated her group’s position on Thursday, which is that it will never consent to oil tankers on that stretch of the B.C. coast.
“A tanker ban is not a ban if it includes exemptions or carve outs,” she said.
She previously voiced concerns that Alberta’s ambitious timeline for the pipeline project might not allow enough time for meaningful consultations.
Section 35 challenge?
The MOU states that, if the pipeline project earns a ‘national interest’ designation under the Building Canada Act, then the federal government is ready to make “an appropriate adjustment” to the oil tanker ban off the B.C. coast.
The Building Canada Act allows for projects with that designation to bypass existing regulations, including in this case the Oil Tanker Moratorium Act, but the Indian Act and constitutionally protected rights under Section 35 cannot be sidestepped.
Section 35 of the Constitution Act was central to the legal challenges against Northern Gateway, a northwest B.C. pipeline proposal that faced intense court battles before being cancelled in 2016.
Within the Liberal caucus, the pipeline discussion has created tensions, with Canadian Identity Minister Steven Guilbeault resigning from cabinet late Thursday to protest the MOU.
Liberal B.C. MPs also told iPolitics they had concerns the political fallout could cost them their seats.
All opposition parties had a bone to pick with the Carney government following the announcement, with the Conservatives saying it doesn’t go far enough to actually build a pipeline, and the NDP’s Jenny Kwan saying the project will go nowhere but the courts.
Click image or link to read the news story - https://www.ipolitics.ca/2025/11/27/proposal-ottawa-carney-memorandum-understanding-energy-pipeline-first-nations-coast/

The Alberta-Ottawa pipeline agreement sparked the resignation of high-profile climate activist turned-politician, Steven Guilbeault, but — for the moment — BC Liberal MPs are staying quiet and out of sight.
MPs Patrick Weiler and Will Greaves, who previously expressed reservations about the Alberta-Ottawa pipeline agreement, were among at least 11 BC Liberal MPs not present for Question Period on Thursday.
Greaves told Canada’s National Observer that he will reserve his comments until Friday. Greaves previously said he and his constituents are opposed to an agreement involving a pipeline through BC and oil tanker ban exemptions, which are included in the memorandum of understanding (MOU).
A handful of Trudeau-era climate-minded Liberals were also absent from Question Period, including Nathaniel Erskine-Smith, Karina Gould and Guilbeault, who hours later issued a statement saying his resignation is a direct response to the MOU.
The day before the MOU was signed, Erskine-Smith said he was “a little skeptical” of grand bargains, having already lived through one — referring to the Trans Mountain pipeline — and he would have “lots to say” once MOU details were public. At the time of publication he had not weighed in.
It remains to be seen whether BC Liberal MPs and progressive Liberals will be emboldened to speak their mind following Guilbeault’s resignation. At least one BC Liberal is backing Carney’s MOU.
After Question Period, Liberal MP for Coquitlam–Port Coquitlam Ron McKinnon called the MOU “a positive step forward for British Columbia and for First Nations.”
“This cannot proceed without First Nations' prior informed consent, and British Columbia would not stand for this,” NDP MP for Vancouver East Jenny Kwan said when asked about the newly inked MOU. The prime minister is “creating a lot of noise about a pipeline that will go nowhere but to the courts,” Kwan told reporters after Question Period.
Click link to read the news story - https://www.nationalobserver.com/2025/11/27/news/liberal-mps-silent-ottawa-carney-deal
Latest posts
How your data determines what you pay!
What if the price you pay at the store is different than the person standing next to you?
Corporations can use personal data such as location, device type, browsing history, purchase behavior, login status, and loyalty cards/programs to profile consumers and determine what different people are charged for the same goods and services.
How can we stop this from happening in Canada?
Join MP Jenny Kwan, Patrick Johnson - President of UFCW 1518, Jim Stanford - Economist and Director of Centre for Future Work, and other experts, for a public forum and community conversation about what surveillance pricing means for consumers and workers, how technology and personal data are changing the way prices are set, and what everyday people can do to fight back.
*Scan QR code, click the image or this link to register your attendance - https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/your-data-their-price-a-town-hall-on-surveillance-pricing-tickets-1998495899032
Applications from people around the world seeking Canadian citizenship certificates have been rising rapidly in recent months, fuelled by thousands of applications from the United States, CBC News has learned.
The number of people who have already received certificates as a result of Parliament’s adoption of “Lost Canadian” legislation late last year rose nearly 50 per cent between April 1 and May 31, according to new data obtained by CBC.
Bill C-3 allows citizenship for those who can prove they're descended from a Canadian ancestor, even if that ancestor left the country several generations back. It was adopted after the courts ruled that limiting citizenship to the first generation born outside of Canada was too restrictive.
Between mid-December — when Bill C-3 went into effect — and May 31, some 6,100 citizenship certificates were granted by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to those who now qualify.
That is up from 4,075 certificates issued as a result of Bill C-3 from mid-December until March 31.
Another 17,390 people have received certificates as a result of having a Canadian parent. Prior to the bill's adoption, those who were born outside Canada had to have a Canadian parent to qualify for citizenship.
In June, IRCC suddenly suspended an estimated 100 certificates that had already been issued after flagging problems with the documents submitted with the applications. The concern from archivists is that some people who've already applied to IRCC will be sent back to archives to find more genealogical records.
The IRCC says 83 of the suspensions have been resolved and the certificates restored. It has sent procedural fairness letters to another 17 people whose certificates were suspended and given them 60 days to submit the documents necessary to prove their Canadian ancestry.
If they fail to provide acceptable proof, their citizenship certificates could be revoked.
New Democrat immigration critic Jenny Kwan said she has been getting letters and inquiries from people affected by the suspension letters and has written to Metlege Diab, calling for answers.
“It really makes no sense whatsoever, what’s going on," Kwan said. "And the minister is completely ignoring that reality right now.”
*Click image or link to read the news story - https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-citizenship-certificates-americans-9.7307536
OTTAWA — The House of Commons public safety committee has voted unanimously to investigate Canada’s security screening processes, after a Canadian woman was arrested in Belgium for allegedly spying on NATO.
The committee adopted a special, out-of-session motion on Monday to probe the vetting of Biwei “Claire” Zhang by Canadian security officials before the start of an internship last summer at NATO’s central military headquarters in Belgium.
On July 25, Belgian authorities announced they’d arrested a “Canadian national of Chinese origin” on suspicion of spying for a third country while interning at the NATO headquarters. Subsequent reporting identified the suspect as Zhang, a computer science and systems engineering graduate in her early 30s who’d previously held positions at multiple Canadian federal agencies.
Zhang’s security clearance for the overseas NATO internship was approved by the Canadian government after she was vetted by CSIS.
The NDP does not have any seats on the public safety committee, or any House committee, but NDP public safety critic Jenny Kwan said she supported the investigation.
”The government needs to conduct a comprehensive review of how this individual was vetted and cleared for a sensitive NATO posting, including the role played by Global Affairs Canada, CSIS and the RCMP,” said Kwan in an email.
Kwan also it was important to ensure that candidate screening remain “evidence based” and “(does) not become a vehicle for racial or ethnic profiling.”





