Canadian Press: Immigration minister’s office defends strict new timelines for refugee claims

OTTAWA — Immigration Minister Lena Diab's office is defending new rules that may strike down thousands of refugee claims, saying difficult decisions are required to regain control of Canada's immigration system.

Under Ottawa's new border law C-12, which passed in March, refugee claims must be made within a year of a claimant's first arrival in Canada in order to go through the regular refugee process.

The changes are retroactive to June 24, 2020, and the rule applies to all claims made on or after June 3, 2025. The department estimates about 30,000 existing claimants have been sent notices warning their claims may now be deemed ineligible.

Those claimants include a Palestinian man who donated a kidney to his Canadian sister in 2023, during a roughly seven-week stay in Canada, and an Iranian political activist whose identity was leaked to the regime in July 2025, after the one-year rule took retroactive effect.

Jenny Kwan, the NDP's immigration critic, called the one-year rule "arbitrary" and "draconian" and said people with claims that seem to be legitimate are now being told they may no longer be eligible.

"It is not assessing people on the basis of whether or not they are a genuine refugee … but rather it is a completely arbitrary timeline that the Liberals have imposed, regardless of people's situation," Kwan told The Canadian Press.

Click image or link to read the news story - https://www.timescolonist.com/national-news/immigration-ministers-office-defends-strict-new-timelines-for-refugee-claims-12145838

Latest posts

OTTAWA — The House of Commons public safety committee has voted unanimously to investigate Canada’s security screening processes, after a Canadian woman was arrested in Belgium for allegedly spying on NATO.

The committee adopted a special, out-of-session motion on Monday to probe the vetting of Biwei “Claire” Zhang by Canadian security officials before the start of an internship last summer at NATO’s central military headquarters in Belgium.

On July 25, Belgian authorities announced they’d arrested a “Canadian national of Chinese origin” on suspicion of spying for a third country while interning at the NATO headquarters. Subsequent reporting identified the suspect as Zhang, a computer science and systems engineering graduate in her early 30s who’d previously held positions at multiple Canadian federal agencies.

Zhang’s security clearance for the overseas NATO internship was approved by the Canadian government after she was vetted by CSIS.

The NDP does not have any seats on the public safety committee, or any House committee, but NDP public safety critic Jenny Kwan said she supported the investigation.

”The government needs to conduct a comprehensive review of how this individual was vetted and cleared for a sensitive NATO posting, including the role played by Global Affairs Canada, CSIS and the RCMP,” said Kwan in an email.

Kwan also it was important to ensure that candidate screening remain “evidence based” and “(does) not become a vehicle for racial or ethnic profiling.”

*Click image or link to read the news story - https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/house-public-safety-committee-special-meeting-accused-nato-spy

Are you ready to take action?

Constituent Resources
Mobile Offices
Contact Jenny

Sign up for updates